Friday, February 23, 2018

Green-backed Robin from Arfak Mountains

Birding tour in West Papua with Charles Roring
Green-backed Robin
I have just completed a tropical birding tour with 2 Swiss tourists in Arfak mountains. We spent 3 days/ 2 nights hiking, and watching birds. During the tour, they were able to watch Western Parotia, female Black Sicklebill, Mountain Owlet-nightjar, Feline Owlet-nightjar and Green-backed Robin.
The Green-backed Robin was the easiest bird to find. There was a cleared path that connected the guesthouse where we stayed with the main road. When I walked quietly and slowly in the morning at approximately 10.00 morning time, I saw the bird walking and hopping on the ground. I had anticipated this by turning on my camera in advance.
As soon as the bird stood still on the ground, I aimed my camera, adjusted the lens and pressed the shutter button. I was able to make some good pictures. The bird flew to a nearby branch and sat on it quietly. I took some photograps of him again. He was not afraid of me at all. I was happy with my pictures.
The best way to take pictures of this Green-backed Robin is by walking slowly, and quietly along the path. I have done it several times and I could see the birds using my Visionking 10x42 mm Bak4 prism Binoculars.
Nature tour in Arfak mountains with Charles Roring
Rhododendron zoelleri
I also saw 2 kinds of Ground Doves which I still could not identify. The field guide Birds of New Guinea could not give me exact description which I could use as a reference to identify them.
Rhododendron
In addition to birds, I also saw beautiful flowers that were endemic to Arfak mountains such as Rhododendron zoelleri, Rhododendron konori, New Guinea impatient, as well as other beautiful flowers which I did not know their English and Latin names. Rhododendron zoelleri had yellow-orange colours that attracted the attention of anybody who passed by the flower plant. Rhododendron konori whose petals were white had a very fragrant smell. All these flowers were very beautiful and were worth seeing. There was red Hibiscus but I was not sure whether it was endemic or not.

Booking
If you are interested in taking a birdwatching/ wildlife tour in tropical rainforest of West Papua, and wants me to guide you, please, contact me (Charles Roring) by using form on right side of this blog or e-mail to: peace4wp@gmail.com or whatsapp: +6281332245180.

Merchandise

Please, support this blog by buying art drawings and illustrations of wild animals and plants in the form of prints on various products as follows:

Watercolour Sketch of Bird

Watercolour Sketch of Bird
Fruit Dove from Tropical Rainforest

Vector Art Drawing in Inkscape

Vector Art Drawing in Inkscape
Swimming with Whaleshark

Vector art illustration in Inkscape

Vector art illustration in Inkscape
Baby leatherback turtle was reaching for the sea

Drawing of Paradise Bird

Drawing of Paradise Bird
Lesser Birds of Paradise art print on classic T-shirt

Digital Drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook

Digital Drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook
A Couple of Red Bird of Paradise